Collab : Top 5 Goodies & Baddies Highend Products


It is Friday and the start to the weekend (well, after work) and today I have a very special post for you in collaboration with Jessica from Just a City Girl. We are sharing our top 5 favorite high end products, and the top 5 products that left us disappointed. Since its Friday and its suppose to be a happy day we are first looking at the not so favorite products and then I will walk you through all my best of the best (with a bonus product) so that we end on a HIGH note. Get it :-)


Elizabeth Arden Skin Illuminating Smoothing Cleanser

I am very much a cream cleanser kind of girl. Not only is this a soapy cleanser but it also contains physical exfoliants. Even though it's micro exfoliates, I am still not a fan and I might not cast this cleanser to the curb cause its kind of expensive and not terrible at all, just not my cup of tea. It still gets the job done and the packaging is stunning, its just not what I need at this moment in time.


Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Intensive Lip Repair Balm

The eight hour cream range is so ICONIC and loved by so many women all around the world. I am slowly making my way through the range, as it has grown extensively over the years. One of these products that I have already tried and tested is on my naughty list. In the picture you can see how I had to dig out the balm to get enough product to put on my lips to make a difference. Furthermore I feel that this balm does not heal chapped lips, it settles into the dry patches and do not soothe them enough. In fact  all I want to do is pick at my lips when I wear this balm to get rid of all the flaky bits. It's not entirely a bad product, when your lips is well looked after I think this will be a great balm to use while you get ready (before you pop on your lipstick). This however is rather expensive for what it is as I have balms from the drugstore I enjoy more and have paid far less for.


Clinique Pop Liquid Matte Lip Color in Flame Pop

I have done a full review on this lipstick here, and even then I was not a fan. Come to think of it, I have not worn this lipstick since that review (but I do feature it in an up coming post soon). The wand is weird and the formula adds to the wonky wand story. What I mean by this is that the formula is nice and lightweight, but it is difficult to get a precise application and if you do happen to make a mistake, it smudges everywhere. One thing I can attest to is how pigmented this lipstick is. This is a lipstick I would switch out without even blinking!


MAC Beauty Balm in Light

If you have been following my blog for a while, you would have seen me trying out different MAC foundations in the past and not really liking any of them. I am however such a fan of a good BB Cream, but this is just terrible for me. I feel it is too thick of a formula and it accentuate all my pores and imperfections. I have started to mix it with another BB Cream for more coverage but to be thinned out just to finish this product. (back to MAC) The combo is working okay but not to the degree where I will recommend or repurchase this.


The Balm - Cindy Lou-Manizer

The Lou-Manizer sisters are famous all over the world for their shimmery goodness. Unlike the Mary Lou-Manizer, I do not get this product. To me its good as a blush topper but holding the blush candle all by herself, I doubt that. Its way too shimmery to be a full on blush, and way too pink to be a highlighter. I think the concept is good (proven by the multitude of face palettes that has recently been launched). I just feel that not all three powders need to be shimmery. This is not a blusher or highlighter I reach for on a regular basis, or even ever. (Yet I still want to buy the Betty Lou-Manizer to do a full dedicated post to, not making sense at all, I know) 

These were the items I am not too fond of, but the next few products is the kind of stuff I can use everyday and never get tired of them. It's my "take to a deserted island" goodies.


Miss Dior Blooming Bouquet

This is a very fruity / floral scent, a very simple yet sophisticated scent. The top note is peach, which is followed by the middle notes of more peach, apricot, Damascus rose and pink peonies, then the base note is white musk. Simple yet so striking and fresh. I feel like a real lady when I wear this perfume and I will most definitely recommend and repurchase this, its so luxurious and a pamper at the same time.


Smashbox Be Legendary Liquid Lipstick in Coral

I think this is a very good time to chat about this lipstick as this formula is being discontinued and replaced, but some stores still has got some stock. Not only is the applicator a unique and efficient shape, but the formula is outstanding and the color is very flattering on my skin tone. I have already bought a back up and as soon as the bank manager looks away for more than two seconds, I have another one on hold, ready to be snatched up. I find this to be so comfortable on the lips and I get so many compliments when I wear this. Its my current favorite lipstick.


Elizabeth Arden Superstart Skin Renewal Booster

Some people are addicted to nicotine, other to Coca Cola and some even to cocoa, like me. Well this is another addiction and I am not sorry for at all. I cannot live in a world where I do not use a superstart serum in my daily routine. It's a thin serum that just bring life and joy to your skin. It makes everything that is sad and imperfect better, it truly is a magician of its own kind and if you could only choose one item to remember from this post, let it be this one. You might need to work 24 hours a day to finally afford it, but it will be worth it. I promise, cannot say enough good things about this product. That is how much I love it.


Beautiful Beautiful Color Eyeshadow in Shimmering Copper

Oh my word! When ever I pack my makeup to travel somewhere, this comes with me. It is great to elevate an eye look but also amazing to wear on its own with with loads of liner and mascara. The powder is soft and pigmented and the bronze color is so perfect to balance my eye color. Not brown enough but not too shimmery, just right! This is my goldilocks single shadow and believe it or not, I got a back up (who in their right mind would do that? Only a makeup addict like me would feel my vibes) You need this in your life, no other shadow will compare I promise you!



Smashbox Cover Shot Palette in Ablaze

Perfect timing for this palette as it is autumn / winter appropriate. Like I mentioned in my review these shadows have the ability to blend themselves and they are super pigmented. This burnt orange is so beautiful and the colors next to it really compliments the shade. You can create such a multitude of looks with this palette and because the quality is so high, you can be rest assured it will be vibrant and hold up the whole day. This is again a bit up there in price, but if you are a makeup junkie like me, or appreciate good quality makeup, you will love this.


Honorable mention - MAC Mineralized blush in Warm Soul

This blush has been featured in so many blogposts on my blog that it can host its own talkshow, and what a tale it will tell. I love this blusher as it is something between a bronzer and a blush to my pale ass skin. It just brings life and happiness to my face and it is so lightweight and blends like a dream. I am not going to ramble on an on about it as it has received so much love already, I could just not do a top 5 post and not include this.

It was so hard to pick my top 5 favorite high end products as I love most of the goodies. I feel that research is key when you purchase high end makeup or skincare. Make sure that the color and formula will suite your skin tone or -type before you purchase and fork out loads of hard earned money. Most counters will provide you with a sample to try out.

Let me know in the comments below what your least favorite and most favorite high end product are.

Love ya
Melanie

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,